In the energy sector, being forward thinking begins with taking on today’s challenges alongside aspiring to a future of 100% clean energy. Siraj is a rare Power industry insider who has the experience to look across the entire value chain — from sourcing and generation to transmission and distribution — to optimize plant efficiencies and economics. Siraj and his team at ST Power Services develop tailor-made strategies that empower plant owners to solve today’s problems while laying the groundwork to profitably transform their organization for a carbon-free future.
A sought-after Power industry consultant and thought leader, Siraj Taj has leveraged more than 30 years of experience into his latest pursuit: Transforming Thermal Power Plants To Be The Bridge To Our Clean Energy Future.
Siraj and his team guide plant owners through a critical business transformation, a process that adapts flexible operation with cost-effective O&M strategy. It paves the way for pragmatic integration of Renewable Energy Sources (RES) and Conventional Power Systems (CPS). The upshot of this approach is the empowerment of plant owners to achieve life-cycle cost savings of 35%+, thanks in large part to a robust maintenance program designed to improve total asset performance for reliable and flexible operation. Siraj’s approach is field-tested and validated. Most recently, he led several GT control systems upgrade to increase plant efficiency, reliability and profitability.
Prior to founding ST Power Services in 2016, Siraj served many roles at Alstom Power, including Contract Manager and Director of GT/CC Service Operation for Russia & CIS Countries. He also serves as a council member on the Gerson Lehrman Group, contributes to the development of Hyperloop Transportation Technologies, contributes to POWER magazine, and regularly shares his thought leadership through his popular Thinking Power blog.
- Asset Management: 1000MW combined cycle power plant. Configuration: 4 x KA24 (using Alstom GT24)
- LTSA negotiation: a 20-years, $153M LTSA with GE, delivered savings of $95M to Owner over contract life
- Supply agreement: Negotiated raw water supply agreement with local county
- Operational efficiency: Managed several upgrade projects to improve operational efficiency, increase reliability and availability, and dual fuel conversion to improve operating flexibility
- Successfully implemented Turbine Control System upgrade of ABB Vax ST at Cogen facility
- Successfully implemented Turbine Control System upgrade of 4 x LM6000 GT + BOP + HMI + plant communications network
- Successfully managed a dual fuel (NG & ULSD) conversion of 2 x GE7EA with DLN1 Combustion System
- Project Management: Successfully completed a Waste Water Treatment project to separate storm water and waste water
- Restoration agreement: Successfully negotiated ULSD tank restoration agreement with Sunoco
- Asset Evaluation: Due diligence of 2 power generation assets up for sale
- Contract Management: Managed several Long-Term Service Agreements for large Combined Cycle Power Plants. Value: $750MUSD
- Service Operation: Developed and managed a Local Service Operation in Moscow to serve power market in Russia and CIS countries. Annual Sales: 300MEuro
- Bayside Power Plant: Managed LTSA for operation & maintenance of a multi-shaft combined cycle power plant. Configuration: 1 x Alstom GT24. Contract value: $250M
- La Paloma Generating Facility: Managed LTSA for operation & maintenance of a single-shaft combined cycle power plant. Configuration: 4 x KA24 (using Alstom GT24) Contract value: $350M
- Bellingham Power Station: Technical Project Manager for EPC project. Configuration: 2 x KA24 (Single shaft combined cycle power plant using Alstom GT24). The project included civil, mechanical, and electrical scope of work. Contract value: $500M
- Dighton Station: Technical Project Manager for EPC project. Configuration: 1 x KA11N2 (Single Shaft combined cycle power plant using Alstom GT11N2. Contract value: $150M.
- Suncor Station: Project engineering and procurement for simple cycle power plant using Alstom GT11NM. Contract value: $90M
- Business Development: EPC bid development and sales support for Panda, Hays, La Paloma, Bellingham, Blackstone, Suncor, and Dighton Projects.
- Reliability Studies: Conducted root cause analysis to determine the failure of SFC and Switchover Unit that resulted in failed start of simple cycle plants with GT11N1. Developed and implemented PLC solution to replace the analogue Switchover unit.
- SCM Support: Lead cost reduction initiative of DC system for EPC projects by evaluating and selecting a competitive supplier. Achieved 20% cost reduction.
- Asset Management
- Business Development
- LTSA Negotiation & Execution
- Operational & Contractual Efficiencies
- Project Management
- Business Process Management
- 30 years in Power Industry
- Director of Operations, Alstom Power Inc, Moscow
- Business Development & Sales Process Management
- Technical Project Manager of large gas turbine combined cycle EPC projects
- Commissioning Engineer
- Virginia Commonwealth University: Master of Business Administration
- Cleveland State University: Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
- University of Udaipur, India: Bachelor of Science in Physics